Every feature in a map tile belongs to one layer as defined in the MVT vector tile specification.
Every feature may have any number of tags expressed as key-value pairs. Keys are always strings; values may be strings, integers or decimal numbers. In order to capture the full range of data in OpenStreetMap, feature tags in Protomaps are a schemaless system; some keys may only be present in a subset of features.
To aid cartographic design, certain special keys prefixed with
pmap: are included.
The organization of features with layers and tags is specific to Protomaps services; this means that map styles are not directly portable with other systems such as OpenMapTiles or Mapzen tiles. The organization of features as described here, independent of any particular implementation, download, or service, is available under a CC0 license.
This specification evolves as the map improves; the current revision is 2021.08.
name: tags are always included. Keys that begin with
name such as
name:es for multilingual names are also included.
This layer contains ▩ polygons of physical features like forests, wetlands and glaciers.
- natural in wood, glacier, scrub, sand, wetland, bare_rock
- landuse in forest, meadow
- boundary in national_park,protected_area
natural, boundary, landuse
This layer contains ▩ polygons of manmade features like parks, schools and farms as well as abstract residential areas.
- aeroway in aerodrome, runway
- area:aeroway in taxiway, runway
- amenity in hospital, school, kindergarten, university, college
- landuse in recreation_ground, industrial, brownfield, railway, cemetery, commercial, grass, orchard, farmland, p
- leisure in park, garden, golf_course, residentiak, dog_park, playground, pitch
- man_made in pier
- place in neighbourhood
- railway in platform
- highway in pedestrian AND area=yes
- highway in footway AND area=yes
- man_made in bridge AND area=yes
landuse, leisure, aeroway, area:aeroway, amenity, highway, man_made, place, railway, sport
This layer contains ▩ polygons of lakes, oceans, wide rivers, and manmade bodies of water such as pools and reservoirs.
- has water
- has waterway
- natural = water
- landuse = reservoir
- leisure = swimming_pool
natural, landuse, leisure, water, waterway
This layer contains ▩ polygon features for manmade buildings.
- has building
This layer contains ⟋ lines of physical features such as embankments and waterway centerlines.
- has waterway AND waterway not in riverbank, reservoir
- natural in strait, cliff
- pmap:kind IN waterway, natural
This layer contains ⟋ line features of manmade roads.
- has highway AND highway not in construction, proposed
- pmap:level in 1, 0, -1 for bridges, ground level or tunnels
- pmap:kind in highway, major_road, medium_road, minor_road, other
This layer contains ⟋ line features for railways, runways and other features used by non-private vehicles.
- has railway AND railway not in abandoned,construction,platform,proposed
- aerialway = cable_car
- route = ferry
- aeroway in runway, taxiway
- pmap:kind in aeroway,railway,ferryway,aerialway,other
This layer contains ⟋ lines for human-defined administrative boundaries such as countries and states.
- boundary=adminstrative AND natural!=coastline AND maritime!=yes
This layer contains • points for neighborhoods, cities, countries and neighborhoods, useful for labeling.
- has place
- place, country_code_iso3166_1_alpha_2, population, capital
- pmap:kind in neighbourhood,city,country,state
- pmap:rank in 1,2
This layer contains • points for natural features such as mountain peaks or labels for seas.
- place in sea, ocean
This layer contains • points for points of interests such as transit stations and amenities.
- has amenity
- has shop
- has tourism
If you are interested in custom layers, please contact [email protected] about this upcoming feature.