Protomaps is a system for making custom interactive maps on the web, like this one:
- 🗺️ Protomaps is a complete system for vector basemap cartography. Map appearance, labels, and languages can be customized on-the-fly. Maps are sharp and scaled to the user's retina or HiDPI screens.
- ☁️ Serverless mode. Make maps without an API key, hosted on your own storage provider like S3, or use our CDN-accelerated web service.
- ☁️ Built for the web first. It has seamless, drop-in integration with the LeafletJS library.
- ✨ The freshest data from OpenStreetMap. Downloaded maps are built on instant, minute-level snapshots of OpenStreetMap, the same open dataset that powers maps at Facebook, Apple, Amazon and more.
- 👩💻 An extensible system for custom map symbology. Protomaps.js is a Canvas2D-based immediate-mode map renderer, meaning your map visuals aren't limited to single lines of text or simple markers, but anything that can drawn with Canvas.
- 🌍 Internationalization-ready: Display sharp CJK text, right-to-left languages and Indic scripts on maps.
- ♾️ An infinite map. Currently, the organization and tagging of features in map tiles are fixed, but this will soon be user-customizable, enabling the rendering of any object and tag that exists in OpenStreetMap.
Protomaps is a small, cozy galaxy of bespoke tools for mapmaking, designed under a single mind by @bdon. Each component is shaped by the demands of other parts of the stack, but can be used independently with other map renderers and services via standardized data formats.
|other renderers||Web API||minutely diffs|